Thursday, October 1, 2009

WP1: Statement of Purpose

The picture I chose took place in the 1930's while the Great Depression was taking place. I hope that people reading my blog and looking at the picture I chose will get a better understanding of the children and the environment in this picture. I want people to feel how they might have been feeling and to understand the situation or event that is going on in this time period. I want people to picture in their head the hardship the United States was going through. To see that everyone was effected by the Depression even wealthy people but the South and African Americans took it the hardest. The people in this picture or even the the people going that went through the Depression maybe have a since of understanding among each other. They may feel sorrow or I went through that to so I don't feel sorrow or sadness "we all went through a rough time".

The picture above is a house that has been flood and has a for sale sign. This is one thing that people during the Great Depression were. My purpose with is picture was another way of getting people to understand why those children in my picture look sad or heart broken. I hope when people look at this picture that they can feel the distress and confusion that these people went through. The south a couple years back when through Katrina and the flood that happen. I know people went and helped then but in the 1930's they didn't have that kind of help because of the financial situation going on in the United States.

In the picture to the right, is a father feeding his 4 children Christmas dinner. I don't think any parent especially a father wants to make there children stand while they eat, especially Christmas dinner. This picture to me shows love and what our nation use to be about...family! He might not been able to provide much, but he gave them a meal and family time to eat around a table.

I hope people get another since of how our nation was struggling. It wasn't just African American people, poor white people, it was everyone in the United States. I do believe that the south and south African American people took the stock market crash of 1929 the hardest though. I think they have struggled for years to get back to where they were. The southern states not only go hit with the stock market crash, but floods, droughts, and hurricanes as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment